Visitors to Henricus Historical Park in 2012 are encouraged to participate in history and conservation tours on the Discovery Barge II, a covered 24-foot pontoon boat captained by Mike Ostrander of Discover the James, an established provider of educational eco-tours and fishing trips. Excursions will feature local wildlife and 17th-century through modern day history at Henricus and Dutch Gap. Participants will step back in time and explore the habitats of native bald eagles and listen to stories of 12-foot sturgeon fish among other fascinating aspects of the James River.
All tours taking place during special events at Henricus will explore nature and history related to the themed event. Tours on non-special event days will highlight nature and general history of Henricus and Dutch Gap. Excursions will last 45-minutes and begin at the floating dock at Henricus Historical Park. A maximum of six people may participate in each tour which costs $25 per person. Children under five years of age are not permitted on boat tours. Tours will take place at 1 p.m., 2 p.m. and 3 p.m. on each of the days below:
- Sat, March 24 - Anniversary of the 1622 Virginia Indian Offensive Tour*
- Sat, April 28 - Pocahontas, Rocke Hall and Powhatan People Tour*
- Sat, May 12 - History and Nature Tour
- Sun, May 13 - History and Nature Tour (Mother’s Day)
- Sat, June 2 - History and Nature Tour
- Sat, July 7 - History and Nature Tour
- Sat, August 4 - History and Nature Tour
- Sat, September 1 - History and Nature Tour
- Sat, September 15 - Publick Days and Founding of Henricus Tour*
- Sun, September 16 - Publick Days and Founding of Henricus Tour*
*Indicates that the boat tour takes place on the same day as a special event at Henricus. Registration is strongly suggested and reservations should be made by calling (804) 318-8728. Tickets may be secured from the visitor center at Henricus one hour before each tour. Payment is required at the time of registration and is non-refundable if the reservation is cancelled within one week of the tour. Boat tours may be added to booked education programs and facility rentals at Henricus Historical Park upon request. Additional tours will be added during Publick Days at 10 a.m., 11 a.m., 12 p.m. and 4 p.m. Admission to the historic site is included for boat tours taking place on the dates above.