Chesterfield County offers a limited number of prekindergarten spots in these 12 elementary schools to provide school-readiness skills to eligible children with the greatest need: Bellwood, Bensley, Beulah, Chalkley, Marguerite Christian, Davis, Ettrick, Falling Creek, Harrowgate, Hopkins, Providence and Reams Road.
Children who will be 4 by Sept. 30, who show an educational need and who live in the school attendance zone may apply for prekindergarten. There are no exceptions to age and residency requirements. To find out if they live in the attendance zone of a school with prekindergarten, parents may call 594-1726 or go online to the parents section of mychesterfieldschools.com, then click “find my school.”
To apply for prekindergarten, parents should take their children to the site that is more convenient:
- 1-6 p.m. March 15 at the Fulghum Center, 4003 Cogbill Road
- 9:30 a.m.-3:30 p.m. March 19 at the Fulghum Center, 4003 Cogbill Road
- 4-7 p.m. March 22 at Davis Elementary, 415 S. Providence Road
- 4-7 p.m. April 2 at Harrowgate Elementary, 15501 Harrowgate Road
- 4-7 p.m. April 4 at the Fulghum Center, 4003 Cogbill Road
- Anytime before April 6, parents may also apply by calling 279-7357 to make an appointment.
Only a limited number of spots are available, so applying for prekindergarten does not guarantee acceptance. Applications will be reviewed equally no matter which date they are submitted, but applications taken after April 19 will be placed on a waiting list.
So that they can complete a brief screening, children should accompany their parents when applying for prekindergarten. The child’s Social Security number is requested, and these items must be presented:
- parent’s photo ID
- child’s certified original birth certificate
- proof of income by providing either two recent pay stubs, a W-2, a tax form, TANF verification or a letter from an employer indicating period of employment and salary
- proof of residency by providing one of these documents:
─ lease for at least one year or deed of a residence or property in Chesterfield County
─ contract or lease free of contingencies to occupy a Chesterfield County residence within two months of the date of enrollment
─ resident manager’s letter on company letterhead stating that residence is a corporate residence in Chesterfield County
─ weekly receipts for temporary residence in a hotel or motel for up to 60 days (requires renewal or evidence of more permanent residency within 60 days of enrollment)
For more information, call 279-7357, 279-7352 or 594-1671.