In Chesterfield County, April 22 is the date to register children to attend kindergarten or apply for a limited number of prekindergarten spots, according to information from the school system. The only exception is Robious Elementary School, which will hold kindergarten registration on April 29.
Kindergarten, which is offered in every Chesterfield elementary school, is a full-day program designed to help children learn language arts, math, science and social studies. A child must be 5 years old on or before Sept. 30 to attend kindergarten for the 2010-2011 school year, the school system’s press release says. No exceptions are made to the age requirement.
A limited number of prekindergarten spots are available in 12 schools to provide school-readiness skills to eligible children so that they are prepared for kindergarten, the release says.
Eligible children with the greatest need have priority for the limited number of prekindergarten spots. Students must live in the attendance zone of a school with a prekindergarten program, and no waivers will be given.
To enroll, parents should take their children between 9 a.m. and 7 p.m. on April 22 to the elementary school they are zoned to attend; the only exception is Robious Elementary, which will hold kindergarten registration on April 29, the release says. To determine which school to go to, parents may call 748-1666 or visit chesterfield.k12.va.us and click “schools,” then click “school lookup feature.”
Parents should bring to registration a certified copy of the child’s birth certificate. The child’s Social Security number is requested, and families applying for prekindergarten must also bring two recent pay stubs as proof of income, the release says.
Parents should make every effort to register their children on April 22, or April 29 at Robious Elementary. If this is not possible, parents should call the school to set up an appointment as soon as possible, the release says. For prekindergarten, it is especially important to apply on April 22, because children will be chosen for the limited number of prekindergarten spots by April 28. Families who apply late will be placed on a waiting list. For more information, call parents can call their zoned school or visit chesterfield.k12.va.us.
Programs have different funding sources, which have different eligibility guidelines:
- Preschool classes are offered for children who will be 4 years old by Sept. 30 who show an educational need and who live in the attendance zone of Bellwood, Bensley, Beulah, Chalkley, Davis, Ettrick, Falling Creek, Harrowgate, Providence or Reams elementary schools.
- Head Start classes are offered for children who will be 3 or 4 years old by Sept. 30 whose families meet federal income guidelines and who live in the attendance zone of Bellwood, Bensley, Chalkley, Ettrick, Falling Creek, Harrowgate, Hopkins or Marguerite Christian elementary schools. To enroll through the Head Start office, call 279-7357.
ATTENDING CHESTERFIELD COUNTY PUBLIC SCHOOLS
To attend Chesterfield County Public Schools, children must reside in Chesterfield County with a parent or legal guardian, so parents must bring a photo ID and one of these proofs of county residency to registration:
- Lease for at least one year or deed of a residence or property in Chesterfield County
- Contract or lease free of contingencies to occupy a Chesterfield residence within two months of the date of enrollment
- Resident manager’s letter on company letterhead stating that residence is a corporate residence in Chesterfield County
- Weekly receipts for temporary residence in a hotel or motel for up to 60 days (requires renewal or evidence of more permanent residency within 60 days of enrollment)
On registration day or by the first day of school, parents must provide:
- Record of a physical examination within the past 12 months
- Updated medical records listing date of each required immunization.