Chesterfield County’s Senior Advocate held a reception on Monday, March 21, in honor of 34 volunteers who provided nearly 600 volunteer hours during 2010, valued at $12,156. Volunteers served in several capacities:
- Office Volunteer —Belinda Miller;
- Grandparent Connection — Betty Ford and Debbie Preston;
- Harrowgate Reading
Program — Bill Boyd, Lois Buchanan, Vicky Carter, Kit Ericson, Betty Frankhouser, Linda Hammer, Peggy Jones, Ralph Jones, Karen Little, Belinda Miller, Marty Schleigh, Phil Wallace, Jane Wilkinson and Gynelle Worley;
- Telephone Reassurance — Barbara Blair, Helen Bloomfield, Gracie Burwell, Vicky Carter, Janice Daniels, Lynn Frasher, Linda Hammer, Anne Kalemjian, Peggy Logan, Marty Schleigh, Margaret Speights, Allan Trosclair, Linda VanAken, and Rita Williams;
- Disability Services Board — Linda VanAken, Deborah Brooks, Preston Curry, Barbara Ettner, Rebecca Farthing, Jo Ellen Hetherington, Skip Stanley and Valerie Luther;
- Senior Ambassador — Bill Boyd.
“I am delighted that we have such a wonderful group of dedicated volunteers who make a difference in our county,” said Senior Advocate Debbie Leidheiser. “Whether it is checking on older adults who live alone, supporting grandparents raising their grandchildren, reading to students at a local elementary school or working for the disabled in our community, they are reaching out to make someone’s life a little better.”
For more information about volunteer opportunities or available services, contact the Office of the Senior Advocate at 804-768-7878 or visit chesterfield.gov, click departments, scroll down to Senior Services and click the appropriate link.