The Chesterfield County Department of Fire and Emergency Medical Services responded Monday, Dec. 27, to 502 Wellshire Place, Chester, at 4:48 p.m. for a house fire, a press release says. Fire crews arrived to find heavy smoke and fire throughout the entire house.
The Chesterfield Fire Marshal’s Office determined the fire to have started in the family room of the house in an area around a Christmas tree, the release says. The accidental fire started as the result of an electrical failure related to holiday decorations. A Chesterfield County police officer was treated at the scene for smoke inhalation, and two family dogs were taken to a local veterinarian for observation. Four occupants were displaced from the residence.