The Chesterfield County Police Department is recruiting individuals for the Auxiliary Police Officer Unit, according to information from Chesterfield County. The unit is staffed by highly trained volunteers who are sworn officers that exercise full police powers, a press release says. The unit began in 1967 and there are currently 25 auxiliary police officers who serve with the it.
Auxiliary police officer duties can include:
- Performing law enforcement patrols with full-time sworn police officers,
- Responding to crimes in progress,
- Providing assistance in times of natural disasters and missing person searches,
- Maintaining security at crime scenes, and
- Investigating citizen calls for service.
The next orientation class to learn more about this essential volunteer program will be on Oct. 5 at 7 p.m., the release says. Registration is required. To register for the orientation and to learn more about the program, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org .
All applicants for the auxiliary police officer unit must undergo an extensive background investigation and application process, the release says.