Throughout central Virginia, April 10 is the date to register children for kindergarten.
Every Chesterfield County elementary school will register incoming kindergartners 9 a.m.-7 p.m. April 10, so parents should take their children to the elementary school they are zoned to attend. To find the correct school, parents may call 318-8743 or go online to mychesterfieldschools.com and click “find my school” in the parents section.
Kindergarten is a full-day program offered in every Chesterfield County elementary school. A child must be five years old on or before Sept. 30 to attend kindergarten for the 2014-15 school year.
Children should come with their parents on April 10 for a brief evaluation. Parents must bring the child’s certified original birth certificate; the child’s Social Security number is requested. To attend Chesterfield County Public Schools, children must reside in Chesterfield County with a parent or legal guardian, so parents must also bring to registration their photo ID and one of these proofs of residency:
- lease for at least one year or deed of a residence in Chesterfield County
- contract or lease free of contingencies to occupy a Chesterfield County residence within two months of the date of enrollment
- resident manager’s letter on company letterhead stating that residence is a corporate residence in Chesterfield County
- weekly receipts for temporary residence in a hotel or motel for up to 60 days (requires renewal or evidence of more permanent residency within 60 days of enrollment)
- parents submitting a “lives with” form must also bring to registration the person they live with. That person must provide a lease, deed or one of the other proofs of Chesterfield County residency, and the parent of the incoming kindergartner must provide two supporting documents showing their name and the correct address.
Before the first day of school on Sept. 2, parents must supply medical records showing their child has had a physical examination within the past 12 months and listing the dates of each state-required immunization.
Parents can get more information by calling their neighborhood school or by visiting mychesterfieldschools.com/parents/preparing-for-school/student-registration.