Prekindergarten applications are now being taken for the 2014-15 school year.
Chesterfield County Public Schools offers a limited number of prekindergarten spots to provide school-readiness skills to eligible children with the greatest need. Prekindergarten is offered in 12 elementary schools: Bellwood, Bensley, Beulah, Chalkley, Marguerite Christian, Davis, Ettrick, Falling Creek, Harrowgate, Hopkins, Providence and Reams Road.
Children who will be four by Sept. 30, who show an educational need and who live in the school attendance zone may apply for prekindergarten. There are no exceptions to age and residency requirements. Parents who are unsure which school zone they live in may call 318-8743 or go online to mychesterfieldschools.com, go to the parents section, then click “find my school.”
Parents may apply immediately by calling 279-7357 to make an appointment. Parents may also apply during any of the application sessions that will be held 1-6 p.m. at the Fulghum Center (4003 Cogbill Rd.) on Feb. 25, March 4, March 11, March 18 and April 1. Only a limited number of prekindergarten spots are available — applying does not guarantee acceptance.
Applications received by May 30 will be reviewed equally; prekindergarten is not first-come, first-served. Students who are not initially accepted will be placed on a waiting list, in case a spot opens up during the year. Parents with questions about the process may call 279-7357, 279-7352 or 594-1671.
So that they can complete a brief screening, children must accompany their parents when applying for prekindergarten. A health/physical form is not required until acceptance into the program. The child’s Social Security number is requested, and these items must be presented when applying:
- Parent’s photo ID
- Child’s certified original birth certificate
- Proof of income by providing one of these document options
- Two of the most recent pay stubs for all jobs worked by any parent living in the home
- W-2 form for each working parent in the home
- Tax form for 2013
- TANF verification letter or form
- Letter from an employer indicating period of employment and salary for each working parent
- Proof of residency by providing one of these documents:
- Lease for at least one year or deed of a residence in Chesterfield County
- Contract or lease free of contingencies to occupy a Chesterfield residence within two months of the date of enrollment
- Resident manager’s letter on company letterhead stating that residence is a corporate residence in Chesterfield County
- Weekly receipts for temporary residence in a hotel or motel for up to 60 days (requires renewal or evidence of more permanent residency within 60 days of enrollment)
- Note: If you plan to submit a “lives with” form, then the person you live with must come with you and provide lease, deed or mortgage statements. Other supporting documents are also required, so call 279-7357 for details.