The county intends to apply for funds allocated by the state and area transportation board for the program to mostly address pedestrian and tourist-type improvements in addition to wildlife and vegetation management.
A Transportation Alternative Project is in the offing when taken up by the Board of Supervisors (BOS).
Activities of the Transportation Alternative Program include:
- On-road and off-road pedestrian and bicycle facilities
- Safe routes for non-drivers (children, older adults and individuals with disabilities) to access daily needs
- Conversion of abandoned railway corridors to bike and/or pedestrian trails
- Construction of turnouts, overlooks and viewing areas
- Historic preservation and rehabilitation of historic transportation facilities
- Inventory/control/removal of outdoor advertising
- Vegetation management to improve safety, prevent against invasive species and provide erosion control
- Archaeological activities relating to impacts from implementation of an eligible transportation project
- Environmental mitigation to address stormwater management, water pollution prevention due to road construction or runoff
- Wildlife mortality mitigation
The BOS will hold a public hearing at its regular meeting on October 23, at 6:30 p.m. in the County Public Meeting Room at the Chesterfield Government Complex, to consider the project.
Information regarding the proposed Transportation Alternative Project is available in the Transportation Department, 3rd Floor of the Community Development Building, 9800 Government Center Pkwy., Chesterfield, VA 23832 and may be examined by all interested persons between the hours of 8:30 a.m. and 5 p.m., Monday through Friday. For more information, please call 748-1037.