Max does trees

Hello and welcome back to the wonderful world of the Dogpound.  The past weekend was shaping up to be very nice weather-wise, so I decided that it would be a good time to cut some pine trees.  I need to back up just a tad to explain that part of my property used to be an old Christmas tree farm and the trees have grown rather tall and thick, creating a nice haven for the deer but not a good growing environment for trees that enjoy their space.  

Anyway, the past few summers have been very hot and dry which led to several of the trees turning from a nice green color to a dirt brown color.  Then a few weeks ago the high winds from a passing storm broke one of them in half leaving it hanging half on and off about eight feet above the ground, thus prompting my sudden interest in becoming a lumberjack.  

I went to the local equipment rental store to get a chainsaw and I paid particular close attention to the operating instructions since it has been over twenty years since I last operated one.  I got home…changed clothes, lugged the chain saw, gasoline tank and water bottle down to the bottom of the hill to start my project.  

I was doing pretty well at the onset; the chainsaw started right up and I was hacking away at everything in my path.  The tree was so covered in vines and weeds I had to spend the first twenty minutes just cutting a path to the tree, and then when I did cut a branch off it would just hang in mid-air, entangled with inch-thick vines.  

So I would cut a bit...stop…and drag the branches down from the vines to avoid having them fall on me when I was not looking and then repeat, until the chainsaw stopped running and would not start again.  

So I drag everything back up to the house and call the rental place to make sure I had followed all of the operating instructions.  He told me to just let it set a bit and it would probably start again.  I decided I would try to start the chainsaw at the house to avoid an unnecessary hike if the saw would not cooperate.  So I flip the switch to “on,” set the choke and start yanking on the starter pulley; good news is that the chainsaw sputtered to life…bad news is that I was left holding the starter cord in my hand… unattached to the saw [just to be clear].  Grrrr!  So I take the saw back to the rental shop and waited for them to put it all back together again.  About thirty minutes later I was back in business.  

I felled the busted tree, cut it up into manageable chunks, and started on the second one until the saw once again stopped.  I took this as a good omen, since I was at my breaking point anyway.  It had been a long time since I cut, chopped, yanked and pulled for two hours, so I figured tomorrow was another day…the trees were not going anywhere.  

The next day refreshed and experienced from the previous day I started out anew, got a second tree down and started to saw it into manageable pieces when the chain came off the saw.  Dang!  The rental shop was closed for the weekend, and although I probably could put it back together again I was afraid I might damage something and then I would own a useless piece of equipment.  So I called it a day and felt that it was a decent weekend…two trees down and still in possession of all arms and legs.

“Trees are the earth’s endless effort to speak to the listening heaven.”
   – Rabindaranath Tagore

That is a wrap and I need to go soak my sore body.  As always be good, play safe, and remember we need trees.  

JR and Max



Post new comment

More information about formatting options

This question is for testing whether you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions.

Related Content

01/21/2015 - 08:41
01/07/2015 - 06:24
12/31/2014 - 07:17