With Halloween approaching, the Chesterfield County Police Department is encouraging residents to do their part to make Wednesday, Oct. 31, a safe holiday for all.
The police department suggests that:
- A parent or responsible adult accompany young children.
- Children cross at well lit streets and always use sidewalks.
- Children wear costumes that are brightly colored or have reflective tape on them.
- Parents check all candies and treats before they are eaten.
- Flashlights or glow sticks be utilized for extra visibility.
- Children never enter the home of a stranger.
- Children walk from house to house, and not run.
To keep homes and streets safe for visiting trick-or-treaters, residents should:
- Remove tripping hazards from the yard and porch.
- Check outdoor lights and replace burned-out bulbs.
- Remove wet leaves from sidewalks and steps.
- Restrain pets so they do not inadvertently jump on or bite a visitor.
- Use caution when driving during the evening and night time hours on Halloween.